Thursday, March 12, 2009

Anger

I saw a mother, scolded and shouted at her child, in public place. Everyone around suddenly became quiet and turned at the shrieking voice. I did not know what the child had done, but my heart went to the child. The child just stood still, looked down, and wept uncontrollably. I wept with the child, inside my heart.

If I had the courage, I would have hug the child and tell the child everything would be ok.

This incident is kind of a reflection to me. Have I ever scolded and screamed at my children in public places like that? At home, yes, sometimes, but outside, seriously, I cannot remember. I pray that I have not and I will not. Ever. Usually those who are angry could not remember herself being angry as she is controlled by syaitan. I seek Allah's forgiveness if I have ever done that.

I put myself in that child's shoe. Being humiliated and embarrassed, in front of the public, by own mother. People staring all around. Feeling helpless, defenseless, vulnerable. And crying is the best and the only thing that she can do.

Shame on me if I ever scream at my children in public places. As much as I do not want to be humiliated, I should never humiliate others, even to my own children.

Narrated Sulaiman bin Surd : "While I was sitting in the company of the Prophet (pbuh), two men abused each other and the face of one of them became red with anger, and his jugular veins swelled (i.e. he became furious). On that, the Prophet (pbuh) said, "I know a word, the saying of which will cause him to relax, if he does say it. If he says: 'I seek Refuge with Allah from Satan.' then all his anger will go away." ~ Sahih Bukhari

How beautiful and simple the lesson our beloved Prophet (pbuh) taught us. We seek refuge with Allah, when we are angry. It may be simple to say, but it's not totally impossible to do. And it's the right thing to do.

I need to apologize to my children and want to hug my children right now....

As I am not a perfect mother.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh Kak, thanks for sharing..out of frustration i probably have raised my voice too when lil Tucik just wont stop crying esp when he is in pain..shame on me..i felt wrong..i need to apologise to him too...and yes! hug!!

HUGS YOU!

Anonymous said...

i have to wait after 6 then i can hug and kiss my heroes :(

tick tock tick tock
i have to wait till 6 o'clock

Anonymous said...

Assalamu'alaikum wr wb dear Rina,

first, mak mah ko anjatkan aku bila baca wait until after 6 ... ku ingat asal 6 eh ...rupa2nya 6pm hehehe...

second, this kind of incident is truly a lesson for us ... for me wen the kids push me to the limit i will either tell them if they want to be embarrass or not or use reverse psychology... eg. if the child keep crying then i tell her continue crying and don't stop .. if stop sure kena... surprising she will stop ...hehehe

Anonymous said...

This is a good one sis.

Somehow we know how to curb our anger when we are out of home. I usually nag at my children and then warn them that they might just get it from me when we reach home.. lol.

Our children do test our patience most times.

Aryna said...

Janna - I had my temper too. We are not perfect. Let's strive to become a better parent. Hugs you too!!

Eimah - I bet you miss your heroes more....

Busu - Wa'alaikumsalam wr wb Busu. Ahh yes, reverse psychology is good...I sometimes used that to my kids too, provided I still have the patience. :D

The Woman - Indeed yes they test our patience very much.